OT: Bob Clampett's TIME FOR BEANY

From Bugs Bunny to Tom and Jerry to Popeye and Woody Woodpecker, the TTTP is the best place around to talk about the classic cartoons from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Moderators: Jon Cooke, Matthew Hunter, Pietro, Larry T, Jack, Duck Dodgers, Lee Glover

OT: Bob Clampett's TIME FOR BEANY

Postby Dell Comics Fan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:54 pm

I was watching a 1953 episode of Bob Clampett's Time for Beany puppet show
on video tape this morning. The episode was about a white gorilla. I was very
surprised when I heard the announcer's closing credits mention Jim McGeorge
and Irv Shoemaker among the voices. I knew that McGeorge was Beany and
Captain Huffenpuff and Shoemaker was Cecil and Dishonest John on the 1962
cartoon version, but I always thought that Daws Butler and Stan Freberg provided the voices in all the puppet shows (Butler was Beany and Captain
Huffenpuff, Freberg was Cecil and D.J.) from the beginning (1949) on,for the entire series' run. But I never heard Daws or Stan even mentioned. When did McGeorge and Shoemaker replace Butler and Freberg on the earlier puppet version?
Dell Comics Fan

Postby Daws Butler Jr. » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:00 pm

They left the show in either 1952 or '53. I forget which right now, although I think it was '53. I'm pretty sure they did the show for 5 years.

MacGeorge and Shoemaker were around earlier and would replace Daws and Stan when they were sick or on vacation. Clampett asked both Daws and Stan to do the cartoon show, but they both turned him down. They hated Clampett and the way they were treated during the puppet show. Daws finally made up with Clampett at a 1980's Comic-Con, although they never spoke again after that.
DB Jr. :chilly:
Daws Butler Jr.

Postby Thad » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Daws Butler Jr. wrote:They left the show in either 1952 or '53. I forget which right now, although I think it was '53. I'm pretty sure they did the show for 5 years.

MacGeorge and Shoemaker were around earlier and would replace Daws and Stan when they were sick or on vacation. Clampett asked both Daws and Stan to do the cartoon show, but they both turned him down. They hated Clampett and the way they were treated during the puppet show. Daws finally made up with Clampett at a 1980's Comic-Con, although they never spoke again after that.

Didn't Daws' wife come up with the Cecil puppet, something Clampett took credit for? I know that the Beany puppet was bought (with a beany-cap put on it).
Thad

Postby Dell Comics Fan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:38 am

Daws Butler Jr. wrote:They left the show in either 1952 or '53. I forget which right now, although I think it was '53. I'm pretty sure they did the show for 5 years.

Thanks for that info! I never knew about the feud between Daws and Bob
Clampett (or I had forgotten all about it).
Dell Comics Fan

Postby Dell Comics Fan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:40 am

Thad Komorowski wrote:Didn't Daws' wife come up with the Cecil puppet, something Clampett took credit for? I know that the Beany puppet was bought (with a beany-cap put on it).

Yes, that is correct. Daws talked about his wife making the Cecil puppet, using
household items (like suction cups for his nostrils), on the PBS documentary
Daws Butler: Voice Magician.
Dell Comics Fan

Postby Daws Butler Jr. » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:05 pm

Dell Comics Fan beat me to it, but yes, Myrtis Butler made the first Cecil puppet. This is part of what the feud was about, Clampett taking credit for things that he definitely didn't do. There's some story that he based Cecil on seeing an old dinosaur movie when he was a kid, but since he didn't design Cecil (Myrtis did), that story is hooey, too.

And it is also correct that Beany was a commercially available puppet that they just redressed. Daws had one, which was the first place I saw it. I now have one, too, that I found at an old toy show. He's in pretty good condition. I should do an article for my blog on it.
Daws Butler Jr.

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:51 pm

Daws Butler Jr. wrote:Dell Comics Fan beat me to it, but yes, Myrtis Butler made the first Cecil puppet. This is part of what the feud was about, Clampett taking credit for things that he definitely didn't do. There's some story that he based Cecil on seeing an old dinosaur movie when he was a kid, but since he didn't design Cecil (Myrtis did), that story is hooey, too.

I heard that on one live TV show they appeared on Clampett gave the audience the impression that he did all of the voicing and puppeteering, not Butler or Freberg. True or false?
Thad

Postby Duck Dodgers » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:10 pm

[quote="Thad Komorowski"]I heard that on one live TV show they appeared on Clampett gave the audience the impression that he did all of the voicing and puppeteering, not Butler or Freberg.QUOTE]

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
That would be the funniest thing ever!
Are you aware that, only due to the fact that you asked such question, you will now be killed by John K?
You'll be missed:(
– Duck Dodgers

My Blog: Classic Cartoons
Duck Dodgers

Postby Leviathan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:18 pm

John doesn't seem to hold Beany and Cecil on the same golden pedestal he does Clampett's color cartoons. That's why we got Soupy Sales and Roger Ramjet shoved down our throats on his blog instead.
"The Fudd of Intellect will never capture the Wabbit of true Vision"- Rafi Zabor, Introduction to the Book of Leviathan :bugs2: :befuddled

-Kevin M
Leviathan

Postby Daws Butler Jr. » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:30 pm

Thad Komorowski wrote:I heard that on one live TV show they appeared on Clampett gave the audience the impression that he did all of the voicing and puppeteering, not Butler or Freberg. True or false?

Absolutely true. I've heard both Daws and Stan tell this story, so here is a compilation of the two:

It was on the Ed Sullivan show. They had a wall set up for the guys to stand behind and puppeteer. As they're nearing the end of the bit, Daws notices that Clampett is behind them rolling up his sleeves. It seems odd to him, but they're in the middle of the performance, so he doesn't give it another thought. The bit ends and Sullivan calls for them to come out. Bob races out ahead, rolling his sleeves down on camera. He shakes Sullivan's hand and waves to the audience and never even acknowledges the other two guys, let alone introducing them.

I know a lot of fans have wonderful stories about how warm and inviting Clampett was in later years, but I guess it was quite a different thing to work for him. Although the one time I saw him in person, he had a Cecil puppet and was doing the voice. That was before I knew who Irv Shoemaker was and I therefore thought that Clampett had actually done the voice himself.
Daws Butler Jr.

Next

Return to The Termite Terrace Trading Post